Art objects

Herald’s garment (cape, hat, gloves, wristbands). Late 19th century
Miscellaneous
Herald’s garment (cape, hat, gloves, wristbands)
Late 19th century

The Museums of the Moscow Kremlin

#3 2008 (20)

Renate Ulmer

25834
A wine set. 1908–1917
Miscellaneous
A wine set
1908–1917

Manufactured by a jewellery artel, Moscow

The Historical Museum, Moscow

#3 2008 (20)

Renate Ulmer

25835
Calligramm of Nâdi'Alî in Shape of a Lion
Miscellaneous
Calligramm of Nâdi'Alî in Shape of a Lion

India

12 × 19.2 cm

Aga Khan Trust for Culture

#4 2009 (25)

Michael Baumgartner, Carole Haensler

25844
Press for table linen, 18th century (?)
Miscellaneous
Press for table linen
18th century (?)

Netherlands

Mikhail Kurilko's collection

#2 2010 (27)

Mikhail Kurilko-Ryumin

25845
A small cupboard with a carved door. 16th century (?)
Miscellaneous
A small cupboard with a carved door
16th century (?)

Italy

Mikhail Kurilko's collection

#2 2010 (27)

Mikhail Kurilko-Ryumin

25846
Table and chair. Еnd 17th – early 18th century
Miscellaneous
Table and chair
Еnd 17th – early 18th century

Russia

Mikhail Kurilko's collection

#2 2010 (27)

Mikhail Kurilko-Ryumin

25847
A gilded monogrammed cup and a saucer. 1750s
Miscellaneous
A gilded monogrammed cup and a saucer
1750s

Imperial Porcelain Manufactory, St.Petersburg

Porcelain; painted glaze, gilding

Height of the cup: 4.3 cm;

Diameter of the saucer: 11.5 cm.

Museum of the Sheremetev family estate Kuskovo

#4 2010 (29), #3 2013 (40)

Lyudmila Markina

25849
A medal to mark the coronation of Empress Elizabeth in 1742. 1841-1867
Miscellaneous
A medal to mark the coronation of Empress Elizabeth in 1742
1841-1867

Johann Karl Hedlinger (medallist); R.Hahnemann (copyist), Russia

Gilding; toreutics

Diameter: 4.6 cm. Obverse and reverse

Moscow Kremlin Museums

#4 2010 (29), #3 2013 (40)

Lyudmila Markina

25850
Meissen vase. C. 1880
Miscellaneous
Meissen vase
C. 1880

The panel on the front of the vase is after a painting by Caspar Netscher (1639-1684)

© LAPADA

#2 2011 (31), #2 2016 (51)

Henrietta Spencer-Churchill

25851
A French gilt bronze. C. 1880
Miscellaneous
A French gilt bronze
C. 1880

A French gilt bronze centre table with moulded Patricia green marble top above a decorative frieze with two opening drawers to one side and dummy drawersto the reverse with cast gilt bronze and classical decoration          

© LAPADA

#2 2011 (31), #2 2016 (51)

Henrietta Spencer-Churchill

25852
A Japanese multi-metal dish. Meiji period, c. 1880
Miscellaneous
A Japanese multi-metal dish. Meiji period
c. 1880

Made by MASANOBU and engraved by KAZUAKI

© LAPADA

#2 2011 (31), #2 2016 (51)

Henrietta Spencer-Churchill

25853
The Hausburg Cabinet
Miscellaneous
The Hausburg Cabinet

Ebony, marquetry work

Signed in marquetry inlay “F.L. Hausburg Fecit Liverpool. Begun 1840, Finished in 1857”

© LAPADA

#2 2011 (31), #2 2016 (51)

Henrietta Spencer-Churchill

25854
A wood netsuke of a Dutchman in Chinese silk jacket, soft narrow trousers and a
Miscellaneous
A wood netsuke of a Dutchman in Chinese silk jacket, soft narrow trousers and a Korean hat
c. 1780

Unsigned. Height: 15.3 cm

© LAPADA

#2 2011 (31), #2 2016 (51)

Henrietta Spencer-Churchill

25855
A Russian dinner service, 1908-1917
Miscellaneous
A Russian dinner service
1908-1917

Silver-gilt, enamel

11th Artel. Moscow

48 pieces, comprising: 12 dinner plates, 12 sherbet cups, stands and spoons

© LAPADA

#2 2011 (31), #2 2016 (51)

Henrietta Spencer-Churchill

25856
The Golden Gates from the Rozhdestvensky (Nativity) Cathedral in Suzdal. Early 1
Miscellaneous
The Golden Gates from the Rozhdestvensky (Nativity) Cathedral in Suzdal
Early 13th century

Photo: Valentin Sklyarov

#2 2011 (31)

Natalya Sheredega

25857
Shoulder-piece (Armilla). Ressurection of Christ. Ca. 1170-1180
Miscellaneous
Shoulder-piece (Armilla). Ressurection of Christ
Ca. 1170-1180

Moselle school

Gilded copper; cloisonne enameling, champleve enameling

11.8 × 14.7 cm

Louvre

#2 2011 (31)

Natalya Sheredega

25858
Suzdal Yoke-necklets (Suzdal Chain). 12th-early 13th c.
Miscellaneous
Suzdal Yoke-necklets (Suzdal Chain)
12th-early 13th c.

Medallions: silver; chasing, carving, gilding, niello

#2 2011 (31)

Natalya Sheredega

25859
Folding Pectoral Icon. 1411-1412
Miscellaneous
Folding Pectoral Icon
1411-1412

Moscow

Silver, pearls; casting, chasing, carving, niello, gilding

9.5 × 6.5 × 1.3 cm

#2 2011 (31)

Natalya Sheredega

25860
Sakkos. C. 1665
Miscellaneous
Sakkos
C. 1665

Solvychegorsk

Workshop of Anna Ivanovna Stroganova

Canvas, tempera. 132 × 124 cm

#2 2011 (31)

Natalya Sheredega

25861
Chess pieces “Red and White”. A set of 32 pieces. 1922-1925
Miscellaneous
Chess pieces “Red and White”. A set of 32 pieces
1922-1925

Designed by Natalya Danko (1898-1942), painted by Alexei Skvortsov

Porcelain, overglaze, gilt

State Porcelain Factory

Latvian National Museum of Art

#4 2012 (37)

Xenia Rudzite

25898
The sword of state and sheath of the sword
Miscellaneous
The sword of state and sheath of the sword

Length: 110 cm. Weight: 1300 grams

Special issue. NORWAY–RUSSIA: ON THE CROSSROADS OF CULTURES

Øystein Ekroll

25901
The king’s crown. 1818
Miscellaneous
The king’s crown
1818

Goldsmith Olof Wihlborg.

20-carat gold, pearls and gems of various sizes including violet amethysts, red garnets, topazes, green chrysoprases, red and green tourmalines and emeralds

Special issue. NORWAY–RUSSIA: ON THE CROSSROADS OF CULTURES

Øystein Ekroll

25902
Plié fan “Group of Women in the Park by the Fountain”. Spain. 1850s
Miscellaneous
Plié fan “Group of Women in the Park by the Fountain”. Spain
1850s

Lithography, watercolour, whitewash, gold and silver paint on paper, embossing; wood carving.

Outer slat height 28.7 cm.

Screen height 11.7 cm.

Fan total width 55.4 cm

#1 2016 (50)

Anna Volkhovskaya

25911
Plié fan “Gala Dinner in the Park”. Spain. 1850s
Miscellaneous
Plié fan “Gala Dinner in the Park”. Spain
1850s

Whitewash, gouache, gold paint on paper; mother-of-pearl, carving, engraving.

Outer slat height 26.7 cm

Screen height 10.7 cm

Fan total width 50.7 cm

#1 2016 (50)

Anna Volkhovskaya

25912
Vase with Heraldic Badge of the Prince of Wales
Miscellaneous
Vase with Heraldic Badge of the Prince of Wales

Sergei Poskochin factory, Morye Village, St. Petersburg Province, Russia. 1830s

Creamware. Height: 24 cm, diameter of body: 11.2 cm.

Impressed mark reads “S. Poskochin”, impressed markings read “F.P.”

Entered the State Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25913
Plate with the Allegory of Peace
Miscellaneous
Plate with the Allegory of Peace

Spode factory, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. 1820s-1830s.

Overglaze transfer printing and painting on earthenware. Diameter: 25 cm

Impressed Spode mark and impressed marking 17.

Entered the Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privatelyowned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25914
Plate with the “Geranium” pattern
Miscellaneous
Plate with the “Geranium” pattern

Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co, Hanley, Staffordshire, England. 1870s-1880s

Overglaze transfer printing on faience. Diameter: 26.3 cm

Round green underglaze BWM&C mark surrounded by the words “By Order of Korniloff Brothers St. Petersburg’, next to the Royal Coat of Arms

Donated by A. Elkina in 1874

Between 1861 and 1904, the William Ridgway works in Cauldon Place, Hanley were owned by Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co. The shapes and designs favoured by the previous owners remained in active use during this period. The Geranium pattern was registered on 17 March 1847. Items with floral décor were extremely popular with Russian buyers. The Historical Museum has in its collection several plates made by the company to orders from the Brothers Korniloff and Kulkov, intended for sale in specialized stores in St. Petersburg

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25915
Plate “Transportation of the Thunder Stone in the Presence of Catherine the Seco
Miscellaneous
Plate “Transportation of the Thunder Stone in the Presence of Catherine the Second”

Wedgwood factory, Etruria, Staffordshire, England. Late 1770s-early 1780s

Underglaze transfer printing and lustre on earthenware

Diameter: 19.2 cm. Impressed Wedgwood mark

Donated by Maria Zabelina in 1909

The transfer-printed design was inspired by the engraving “View of the Thunder Stone during Its Transportation in the Presence of Catherine the Second on the 20th Day of January 1770” by Jakob van der Schley, after a drawing by Yury Felten (1770). Found one mile outside St. Petersburg, the massive Thunder Stone was used to form the pedestal for the famous Bronze Horseman statue of Peter the Great by the sculptor Etienne Falconet (1716-1791). Moving the 2,400-ton stone to the centre of the city was a truly herculean task. During transportation, 46 stonemasons laboured to shape the huge rock into a suitable pedestal. On 26 September 1770, the mighty Thunder Stone finally rolled into St. Petersburg’s Senate Square to cheers from a massive crowd

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25916
Plate “Battle of Borodino. 1812”
Miscellaneous
Plate “Battle of Borodino. 1812”

Wedgwood factory, Etruria, Staffordshire, England. 1820s-1830s

Overglaze transfer printing on Queen’s ware. Diameter: 25.2 cm

Impressed Wedgwood mark and impressed marking in the form of four dots

Donated as part of Pyotr Shchukin’s collection in 1905. 

This Queen’s ware plate with overglaze transfer printing depicts the second medallion from a series on the 1812 French Invasion of Russia. The famous series was created by the artist Fyodor Tolstoy (1783-1873). The plate’s design was based on a book published in 1818, containing prints of all 19 medallions made by the engraver Nikolai Utkin (1780-1863)

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25917
Warming Plate Showing a Steam Engine and Coal Wagon
Miscellaneous
Warming Plate Showing a Steam Engine and Coal Wagon

William T. Copeland & Sons Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. 1859-1875.

Overglaze transfer printing and painting on earthenware. Diameter: 25.5 cm.

Oval green underglaze mark showing a buckled belt with the word “Copeland” in the centre, surrounded by the inscription “By Order of A. Kniajevsky”.

Acquired in 1936 from Artistic Technology Classroom 1 of Moscow. State University

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25918
Mug
Miscellaneous
Mug

Kiev-Mezhegorsky faience factory, Kiev, Russia. 1830s

Coloured glaze on faience. Height: 7 cm, diameter: 7.5 cm

Impressed mark in the centre of the underside reads “Kiev 9”

Entered the Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

The relief decoration on the mug shows Venus floating in a large shell drawn by dolphins, accompanied by Cupid on a dolphin and the flying Iris, goddess of the rainbow, accompanied by Cupid on an eagle. The group symbolizes the elements of air and water. The decoration was most probably created by a designer from the John Turner factory. Together with Josiah Wedgwood and William Adams, Turner was one of the main pioneers of jasperware production in the second half of the 18th century. Indeed, George and Frederick Rhead have suggested that Wedgwood deliberately instructed Turner in the art of jasperware-making, so as Turner could further improve the practice.15 Usually regarded as one of Wedgwood’s best-known imitators, Turner nevertheless also developed his own unique subjects, totally unconnected with any of the relief decorations used by the Etruria Works. Such allegorical representations of the natural elements in the form of deities were copied not only by other English factories, but also by Europeans and Russian ones.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25919
Pitcher with “Wisdom and Providence” Pattern
Miscellaneous
Pitcher with “Wisdom and Providence” Pattern

Kiev-Mezhegorsky faience works, Kiev, Russia. 1849

Coloured glaze on faience. Height: 16.3 cm, diameter of body: 9.4 cm

Impressed mark in the centre of the underside reads “Kiev, May 1849”, impressed marking “41”.

Acquired in 1936 from Artistic Technology Classroom 1 of Moscow State University.

This item was created as a copy of the “Wisdom and Providence” milk jugs made by a number of English factories such as Minton & Co., Samuel Alcock & Co. and Charles Meigh. The design was inspired by the decoration of the pendentives in the Common Council Chamber in London’s Guildhall. Created by Jean-François Rigaud, a French artist who had settled in England, these depicted allegorical emblems of Providence, Innocence, Wisdom and Happiness in the Italian baroque style. The work was commissioned and funded by Alderman John Boydell, a well-known publisher and patron of the arts. Created in 1794, by 1819 the emblems had, sadly, been practically destroyed by the exceptional damp of the building.
A guidebook to the Guildhall published that year states that “these Paintings never dried perfectly and turned black. They exist no longer.”
 In 1799 Boydell published prints of the paintings, having commissioned Benjamin Smith to create that of Providence and Innocence, Jean Pierre Simon to make the print of Wisdom, and Thomas Burke that of Happiness. These prints served as the source for relief decorations on chinaware.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25920
Plate with Italian View
Miscellaneous
Plate with Italian View

Kiev-Mezhegorsky faience factory, Kiev, Russia. 1831

Underglaze transfer printing on faience

Diameter: 24.5 cm

Impressed mark in the centre of the underside reads “Kiev 1831 November”

Acquired in 1987 from Moscow City Court

The design is based on the print “Ponte del Palazzo” by Elizabeth Frances Batty, from the book “Italian Scenery” published in London in 1820. The prints in this edition gave rise to the Italian Scenery series of transfer-printed designs for dinner services made by John Meir, Enoch Wood & Sons, and Leeds Pottery.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25921
Mug with Lid Decorated with Fox-hunting Scene
Miscellaneous
Mug with Lid Decorated with Fox-hunting Scene

Sergei Poskochin factory, Morye Village, St. Petersburg Province, Russia. 1830s

Relief decoration, coloured faience, faience

Height: 8.5 cm (with lid: 11.3 cm), diameter: 8.1 cm

Impressed mark reads “S. Poskochin”, second impressed mark reads “B.S.”

Donated by L.F. Pyrina in 1964

Fox-hunting scenes are among the most common designs used in English pottery. Josiah Wedgwood was the first to use a fox-hunting relief decoration for his jasperware

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25922
“Hearty Good Fellow” Toby Jug
Miscellaneous
“Hearty Good Fellow” Toby Jug

Andrei Auerbach factory, Kuznetsovo Village, Korchevsky Uyezd, Tver Province, Russia. 1817-1833

Overglaze painting on faience

Height: 26 cm, base measures 11.5 by 10.5 cm

Impressed mark reads “AK”

Entered the State Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed. 

The “Hearty Good Fellow” Toby Jug shows a simple, jovial country man. The jugs were based on a satirical print attributed to Francis Hayman (1708-1776), inspired by a poem of the same title.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25923
George Whitfield (Night Watchman) Toby Jug
Miscellaneous
George Whitfield (Night Watchman) Toby Jug

Sergei Poskochin factory, Morye Village, St. Petersburg Province, Russia. 1830s

Underglaze and overglaze painting and lustre on faience

Height: 23.5 cm, base measures 10.2 by 13.5 cm

Impressed mark reads “S. Poskochin”, impressed markings read “N”

Donated as part of Nikolai Mironov’s collection in 1917.

Toby Jugs are pottery jugs, usually in the form of a seated figure in 18th century costume. The first such jugs appeared in the 1760s and have been widely copied by ceramics factories all over England up until the present day. Dozens

of different designs exist, from Sailors and Coal Miners to Squires and Planters.
In the late 18th-early 19th century, Toby Jugs parodying historical figures became especially popular. One of the founders of the Methodist movement, George Whitfield (1714-1770) helped spread the Great Awakening in Britain and America.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25924
Teapot with Heraldic Badge of the Prince of Wales
Miscellaneous
Teapot with Heraldic Badge of the Prince of Wales

Wedgwood factory, Staffordshire, England. 1810s

Black Basalt ware.

Height: 24 cm, base measures 12.5 by 9.5 cm

Entered the State Historical Museum collection in 1925 from the Museum of Old Moscow.

This elaborately shaped teapot is decorated with rich relief-work. The middle of the body features oak boughs with acorns. Above these, a laurel wreath encircles the Prince of Wales’s feathers – the heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales. The spout is in the form of a lion’s head, with the handle in the shape of a dolphin. Just as the lion is king among beasts, in the heraldic sense, the dolphin was considered the king of fishes. The decoration shows Britain’s special status as an empire and a seafaring nation. The top of the lid is shaped like St. Edward’s Crown – the centrepiece of the British regalia, used to crown new monarchs.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25925
Tea Service
Miscellaneous
Tea Service

Wedgwood factory, Etruria, Staffordshire, England. 1830s

Underglaze transfer printing on pearl ware. Impressed Wedgwood mark

Entered the Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25926
Vase
Miscellaneous
Vase

Wedgwood factory, Etruria, Staffordshire, England. 1800-1810s

Queen’s ware. Height: 27.5 cm, diameter: 18.5 cm

Impressed Wedgwood mark

Entered the Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25927
Creamer with Lid
Miscellaneous
Creamer with Lid

Terekhovs and Kiselev factory, Rechitsy Village, Bronnitsky Uyezd, Moscow Province, Russia. 1830-1840s.

Coloured faience with relief decoration.

Height: 8 cm, diameter: 9.5 cm.

Impressed mark reads “Terekhova i Kiseleva” (Terekhovs and Kiselev) .

Entered the Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25928
Plate
Miscellaneous
Plate

Kiev-Mezhegorsky faience factory, Kiev, Russia. 1830s-1840s

Underglaze transfer printing on faience. Diameter: 24 cm.

Impressed mark reads “Kiev”, underglaze green mark in the shape of the Royal Coat of Arms reads “Mezh- ygoriye”.

Entered the Historical Museum collection in 1922 as part of a group of privately owned items submitted for safekeeping during World War One (1914-1918) and never reclaimed

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25929
“Winter Palace” Saucer
Miscellaneous
“Winter Palace” Saucer

M.S. Kuznetsov Company, Kuznetsovo Village, Korchevsky Uyezd, Tver Province, Russia. 1889-1900s.

Underglaze transfer printing on faience.

Diameter: 15.5 cm

Red underglaze mark in the form of the Royal Coat of Arms with the words “Manufactory M.S.K.”, red underglaze mark in the form of a shield reads “M.S.K. Tverskoi gub.” (M.S.K. Tver Province)

Donated by E.P. Eliseeva in 1968.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25930
Plate “Statue of Nicholas I in St. Petersburg”
Miscellaneous
Plate “Statue of Nicholas I in St. Petersburg”

Wedgwood & Co, Tunstall, Staffordshire, England. 1870-1880s

Underglaze printing on ironstone ware.

Diameter: 27 cm

Brown underglaze patent mark in the form of the Royal Coat of Arms surrounded by the initials “D.W.”.

Purchased from R.M. Leonova in 1951

Pattern patented under the name “St. Petersburg”

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25931
Plate with Pattern Imitating Folk Embroidery
Miscellaneous
Plate with Pattern Imitating Folk Embroidery

Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co, Hanley, Staffordshire, England. 1870-1880s

Underglaze transfer printing on ironstone ware.

Diameter: 27 cm.

Red underglaze mark in the form of a shield with diagonal inscription that reads “BWM&C”.

The shield is surrounded by the inscription “Moskow” and the Royal Coat of Arms.

Purchased from A.A. Izhorskaya in 1983.

Décor patented on 25 September 1868 under the name “Moscow”

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25932
Plate “Acropolis”
Miscellaneous
Plate “Acropolis”

George L. Ashworth and Brothers, Hanley, Staffordshire, England. 1860s

Underglaze transfer printing on ironstone ware.

Diameter:  27 cm

Impressed Ashworth mark, purple underglaze mark in the form of a sarcoph- agus with the word “Acropolis” inside and the words “G.L.A. & Bros.” underneath.

Patent mark in the form of the Royal Coat of Arms with the initials “DW” to either side.

Entered the museum collection in 1940 from the Alexandrovskaya Sloboda Museum.

State Historical Museum, Moscow

#2 2016 (51)

Darya Tarligina

25933